Friday, September 18, 2026
Worship
I have often wondered over the years if in the environment in which the western church exists, if Jesus Christ alone is enough?
This is not a tirade against churches seeking to minister in excellence to individuals and families. Excellence in ministry is what we must always offer to Him, but have we reached a place where we're offering what He and His church can give us over and beyond who He is and desires to be to us?
We live in a consumer culture and that culture has invaded the church. In many ways very successfully. Is what we're doing and offering in His name pushing the Person and Presence of the One whose name we bear aside? Are people leaving our corporate gatherings feeling like they've just had a very good experience yet leaving in the same state in which they came? Are we emphasizing touching emotions and stimulating the senses above our encountering Him in life transforming ways? It's a fine line, and I think too many fellowships lack the discernment and understanding to see the difference.
When I came to Christ in 1979, I had no idea what "church" even was or was meant to be. What I did know was that in the center of my broken life, His Spirit had placed within my heart a deep desire for Him. After a couple of months as a believer, I found a fellowship not far from where I grew up. It was about 20 miles from the city of Pittsburgh where I was living, but I was determined to go that Sunday. I didn't find a church geared towards meeting all my needs. They were a church of mostly married people with families. I was single. They sang songs I didn't know with instruments unlike the drums, guitars, and keyboards I was familiar with. There was no singles ministry and more, there were no single girls. There was however, a dynamic presence of Jesus Christ through His Holy Spirit. The pastor, who became a lifelong mentor, was a gifted communicator of Jesus Christ and His life. When he preached, my heart and spirit were moved. I drank it all in. I couldn't wait to be in church. On Wednesday nights I drove out from the city to be there. There were more than 20 traffic lights on the way, and I usually caught every one of them. It didn't matter, so hungry was I for Him. What they didn't have played no part because I was fully caught up in what they did. The fullness of His Life.
People choose to be in churches for a number of reasons. Most of them good reasons, but for how many of us does it come down to simply whether the power and presence of His Holy Spirit holds sway? Where His Presence is so mighty that if all the other things were missing, we'd still be there....and that would be enough. More than enough.
My heart's desire for His church is that we would see preachers raised up who proclaim Christ in such power that He is real to those who hear them. I stayed at that church because I heard about a Jesus that I knew this preacher knew intimately, who was real, and was all that the preacher said he was and more. My heart burned to know that Jesus. I desire a church where every aspect of every ministry has as its central purpose making Jesus Christ real and alive to those they minister to. I desire a church that wants far more than to just provide a good experience, but to see the people truly encounter Him, and be radically transformed by Him.
I know this is happening to some degree in many places, but I believe His word to us is that whatever we have experienced so far is nothing in comparison to what He seeks to do in and through us. May we hear Him speak that He has "so much more for us than this." May our response be to enter into it. Into all of it. As someone put it, to come together in worship is not a duty, but a gift. Let us receive this gift and come to Him, run to Him with hearts wide open.....and worship.
Blessings,
Pastor O
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment