Friday, September 4, 2026
Rescuers
There is a beautiful painting that I've seen often on social media. It depicts Jesus reaching down beneath the waters to rescue someone who is drowning. I know the reality of that painting because it is exactly what He did for me all those decades ago. Many who read this know that experience as well.
I am so thankful for the ministry of my Lord Jesus as the Rescuer of my soul, but through the years, I've learned that He often chooses to rescue us through the ministry and actions of others. There are a number of places where this has been true for me, but one in particular really stands out in my memory and experience.
I was in the first couple of months of the collapse of my marriage. I had been offered the use of a small cottage on our denomination's campground. When I arrived to take up residence there, there was a group of fellow pastors gathered to do some maintenance work on the grounds. They talked with me a bit, told they'd be praying for me, yet I couldn't escape the feeling that they didn't really know what to say or do. They got back to work and I started to walk away towards the cottage. In that moment, I felt completely alone. I felt like I was drowning. Drowning in pain, in fear, in the midst of the impossible. As I walked, I sensed that someone was behind me. I turned and saw the face of a brother pastor I knew, but didn't know well. He simply reached out, put his hand on my shoulder, and began to pray for me. For me, in that place, I felt Him reaching down through this brother's touch, and pulling me up from the "waters" that I was drowning in. I wept as he prayed, but as he did so, I felt surging through me what I can only describe as waves of fresh hope. The Lord saw me right where I was, and on that lonely campground, He used this good brother to reach down and pull me out of the murky waters of despair.
To be a rescuer employed by King Jesus is not a ministry many seek. I make no judgement against those other brothers who were present, but only one of them felt the urging of His Holy Spirit to come after me and minister to me His Life. Ever since then, I have sought to be a rescuer in the service of my Lord. To be attuned to the hearts and needs of those He brings before me. To be the vessel through which He reaches down to save a drowning soul. There have been times I missed His promptings, to my great regret, but I strive to be faithful to them. I'll be accountable for the ones I passed by. So will you.
Rescuers, for the most part, are anonymous people, mostly overlooked by the majority. Yet their ministry is of infinite value in the Kingdom. The numbers of those crying out for rescue are legion. The number of those willing to be His agents of rescue are few. Peter failed his Lord in a spectacular manner. and was in despair as a result. Yet the risen Christ reached into His despair and restored him. Then, he sent Peter to his brethren to do the same for them. To be a Rescuer. Peter could be nothing less. Can we, who have also been rescued by Him, be anything less as well?
Blessings,
Pastor O
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment