Monday, October 14, 2024

The Deliverer

 "I created you and I have cared for you since before you were born. I will be your God throughout your lifetime - until your hair is white with age. I made you and I will care for you. I will carry you along and save you." Isaiah 46:4


Quadriplegic Joni Earekson Tada has spent over 50 years in a wheelchair. She experiences intense pain on a daily basis, yet in the midst of all the pain she has shown a consistently powerful witness for Christ. I am humbled and inspired when I hear her speak. She has walked through the deepest of valleys with a victorious spirit. She's an overcomer of the highest stripe.

Recently I heard her speak of her journey and I was moved. She said that she does not bring complaints or self-pity when she comes to Jesus. Nor is immediate relief or deliverance her greatest desire. She said that in her pain, especially her greatest pain, she asked that Jesus would meet her there. She desires that the result of the pain would be that it pushes her further into His heart. That humbles me beyond words. Would I seek the same from Him? Would you? 

She wasn't done with that. She went on to say, "I never got delivered from my pain, but I met my Deliverer in it." She then shared an exhortation: "Lead your pain to a Bible promise." Her pain was led to the promise of Isaiah 46:4, which sustained and continues to sustain her. Where do we lead our pain to? Do we even know how to do that?

No one desires pain or suffering, but we will have both in this fallen world. Our flesh wants immediate relief and deliverance. That's human. Only one living in the power of the risen Christ can ask the Father to lead them to one of His promises and then live in the power of that promise. We "lead" our pain into the presence of His promise and in His presence, that pain loses its power over us. In that place, we discover the truth of Paul's proclamation that, "His grace is sufficient for me." The pain may not disappear. It has not done so with Joni, but His grace and presence sustains us in that place, and in that place we discover that in the pain we can have peace, joy, and victory.

Few of us are likely to face the degree of pain and suffering Joni Eareckson Tada has, but we will face pain and suffering. Can we also find and meet the Deliverer in it whether we are actually delivered from it or not? He has never promised to deliver us OUT of the pain, but He promised to deliver us IN it. The pain remains, but its power is broken because we are held in His peace, presence, and assurance.

Wherever you are today, whatever your degree of pain, let it lead you to Him. Let it lead you to His promise. You will meet your Deliverer there. That's His promise.

Blessings,
Pastor O

No comments:

Post a Comment