Friday, December 20, 2019

Heart Tracks - Where's Jesus?

For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:11
I've a devotional that tells many stories of missionaries around the world. One recent entry told of a Christmas play being staged in their little church in South America. The players took their places as the pastor began to tell the Christmas story. All of a sudden, someone in the audience exclaimed, "Where's baby Jesus?" The manger was empty. In response, someone called out that the mother of the infant who'd been "playing" baby Jesus, "didn't come today." A substitute was found in the congregation, and the play was finished, but the missionary remembered the cry, "Where's baby Jesus?" thinking of all those around the world who have no answer to that question.
All of that makes me think back to my first Christmas in my first pastorate. Things had been very hard, and nothing seemed to be going well. Very near to Christmas day, I sat one night in our living room, thinking of all that was wrong. I just stared at the lights on our tree, feeling devoid of joy and hope. What I didn't realize then was that I was asking the question, "Where's baby Jesus?" My pain, and yes, my self-pity, kept me from seeing Him. For me, the manger was empty. Yes, I believed He had come, and I believed He was the Savior, and yes, I was following Him, but that night, at that time, I was living like He never had. I was living like His manger was empty. I was living like He hadn't come today. Like He hadn't come at all. As a result, my heart was empty.
The rest of that story is that, in His faithfulness, He showed up, lifted my heart and my spirit. He led me away from all the distractions and focused me back upon Himself. His manger wasn't empty. Only His tomb was. He was risen. He was alive. And nothing, not the distractions, circumstances, and conflicting emotions changed that. Baby Jesus the Lamb was also Jesus Christ the Lion and the King. Hope restored, joy made full. I didn't need to look at Christmas tree lights when the One who is Light was right there.
At Christmas in particular, we can focus on all that we feel is missing and miss the One who never goes missing. The manger might look and feel empty, but it isn't. He came. He lives. He is Christ the Lord....Lord of all, most especially of all those things, people, and feelings that try to convince us He's not there. This Christmas, every Christmas, don't believe the lie that His manger is empty, that Jesus is missing. He's not. He's the Good News that even the most grievous bad news cannot banish. Believe that and allow Him to be Christ the Lord to you, and against all that is coming against you. Where's Jesus? He's here....with us.
Blessings,
Pastor O

No comments:

Post a Comment