Wednesday, July 29, 2026

One

I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me. John 17:21 It's been said, many times in fact, that this is the one prayer of Christ's that has never been fully answered. Jesus prayed (and still prays I'm sure) that His church would be one in Him and His Father. This means unified in the Holy Spirit. As we honestly examine not only our local church, but our particular part of the Body of Christ as to its relation with the rest of the Body, can we agree? He tells us in His Word that we are not to grieve the Holy Spirit, yet we consistently do so, and nowhere perhaps so much as how we relate to one another in Him. I have pastored divided fellowships (an oxymoron perhaps?) and suffered at their hands, along with many another pastor and person. How deeply we have grieved His heart with the ways we treat one another. It has always been so to varying degrees. I believe in these days that may well be the last days, that it is only getting worse. For some time now, I have been witnessing the people of God devouring one another. I have watched and listened to many good brothers and sisters being attacked, labeled as heretics, purveyors of witchcraft, rebellion, false doctrine, being wolves in sheep's clothing, and much more. All because they may hold to a doctrine that is at odds with theirs. I believe in having sound and correct doctrine and beliefs, but as Lisa Bevere, who herself has been accused of being much of what is listed above said, we are never going to agree on every point in our particular doctrines, but we must, absolutely must, center on being in agreement in the core beliefs of the Bible; the Personhood of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. Original sin and the truth that all are lost and that Jesus Christ is the only path to the Father. The authority of Scripture, the cross of Christ, the resurrection, and holiness of life. There will be differences, such as how we see the gifts of the Spirit, eternal security, healing, and hearing the voice of God. None of these are central to our faith. The fact that we are human means we will differ on some points, but we cannot differ on that which is central to our faith. In these we are to be immovable, but as John Wesley, on all other things we are to show love towards one another. What is going right now is anything but loving. Every time I see an article or hear someone preach against others who do not agree with their particular doctrine, my heart grieves. I can't begin to imagine how it must grieve the heart of God. Jesus prayed that the world would see our unity, a unity based upon holy love for each other, so that they might believe the Father had sent Him. How many do not believe because all they have seen is a church at war with itself, and what part have we played in that war? Where heresy and false teachings are being spread, we need to counter it with His Truth, and strongly, but we do so in love, not with attacks and name calling. Let us gather around what is essential to the faith, and show tolerance and lovingkindness in the areas where we may differ. Let us do so that we may bless and bring joy to the heart of Christ, and in the opening of the eyes and hearts of an unbelieving world as it sees how much we love Him, His people, and them. Blessings, Pastor O

No comments:

Post a Comment