Friday, December 15, 2023

The Departure

 "For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand." 2 Timothy 4:6......"It ought to be our business every day to prepare for our last day." Unknown


When Paul penned these words to Timothy, he knew his time, life, and ministry were drawing to a close. He spoke of how he had lived a life that fought "the good fight" of faith. He felt he had accomplished that for which the Father had created and purposed for him. He was ready.

I think that Paul, from the moment he first encountered the risen Christ on the Damascus Road, lived with the sense of his calling and the growing depth of his relationship with Christ in the living out of that calling. In his imperfections he lived in the fullness of His perfect love. I think Scripture proves that as he faced his execution by the power of Rome, he was completely at rest that he would leave this world as to how he had lived for His Savior. He lived with his eyes ever upon eternity and His Lord. I wonder, do I? Do you?

More and more, I find myself in Paul's place. No, there is no executioner's sword before me, but death stalks all of us in this fallen world. I know with each day of life, my departure draws a day closer. My departure, whenever it may come, is at hand. Will I be able to testify that I have lived it out to the full? I believe I have been completely committed to doing so, but really, in every area of my life, have I? Did I really live with my eye upon eternity, or did I allow myself to get encumbered by the affairs of this passing world? Has my field of vision been so filled with what was passing away that I saw little if anything of what would never pass away....His Kingdom? Have I taken more notice of the kingdoms of the world than the Kingdom of God? I have testified to being a citizen of this Kingdom, an Ambassador of it? Does the witness and record of my life verify this? When my last day comes, when my departure is upon me, will I have accomplished all that He created me for and called me to? How much will be left undone?

Someone once asked if the testimony of our lives is one that shows that we lived in a manner that was worth Christ dying for. He didn't come so that we might be comfortable, well off, and experiencing as little trouble as possible. He came that we might be His, to know Him, walk with Him, and like Him, carry our cross. To live each day pressing on. Pressing onward, upward, and inward in Him. Too often in my life I lived for the approval of others. Now, the only One who's approval matters is His. To have it is, in the end, all that matters.

When the time of my departure does arrive, I want it to find me stretching, reaching for all of Him and all that He has for me. What better way could there be to leave this realm and enter into the fullness of His than that. May He find me so at my departure. May He find you so as well.

Blessings,
Pastor O

No comments:

Post a Comment