Friday, September 22, 2023

He's Here

 I remember once stopping by the home of a pastor friend to say goodbye. He and his family were moving to Florida and I was saddened at the loss. He'd been a great ministry comrade. I knew we'd remain friends and that I might even see him again, but the sadness came from the knowledge that what had been would not be so now. Things change. Life changes. People come into our lives and at the same time leave our lives. As a Pastor I expect I've seen more than my share of that, but it's an experience that all of us share to some degree. Oftentimes it's a case like this, of saying goodbye. Sometimes it's one of having to let go. Whatever it is, it can be painful. It will be painful, and it can leave us feeling empty and alone. Yet in such times, for me at least, there came forth an even greater realization of the sufficiency of Christ. He is One to whom we never need to say goodbye, and even if we do, and some have, He will not say goodbye to us. Not on this side of eternity. He is the One who says, promises, that He will never leave us or forsake us. Paul's letter to the Romans promises that "nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ." Over and over, that has been my life experience in Him. I may have been, may be lonely, but I have never been alone. Not even in the darkest hours.


Maybe I've shared this before, but for me, the sharing of it never grows old. I was at a very lonely and scary time in my life. Going through a divorce, out of the ministry, feeling so isolated and alone. I was alone, living on a deserted church campground. I tried to call some people, but no one I reached out to was there to connect with. I tried to pray, but my prayers didn't seem to get past the ceiling of the room I was in. Finally, I opened my Bible to 2 Timothy 4:16-17. Paul writes of being brought before the judgement seat of Rome. "The first time I was brought before the judge, no one was with me. Everyone had abandoned me....But the Lord stood with me and gave me strength." That was more than 30 years ago, but what happened still seems like only yesterday. He came into my brokenness, and the words of Proverbs, that "there is One who sticks closer than a brother," became powerfully alive to me. I remembered that I had sometime before highlighted those verses in yellow. At that moment, those words seemed to be literally on fire. The memory still gives me chills.

That wasn't the last time I needed that truth, that I desperately needed Him. There have been many goodbyes. To best friends and to family who were called home to Him. To cherished friends, who though still "here" are not here with me. I have also had to say goodbye and let go of those who have chosen to leave me personally, or the fellowships I've pastored. I've also had to say goodbye to and let go of people who for whatever reason, He was asking me to release. All are painful. Some very much so. In all of them, over and over, the Jesus who came and stood with Paul was the Jesus who came and stood with me. If it has not been so with you, it can be. It must be. In the midst of the most painful "goodbye," He will be there beside you. The One who sticks closer than a brother...or sister. The One who never leaves or forsakes. The One who in this ever changing world, never changes. The One who, as Hebrews promises, is "the same yesterday, today, and forever."  Wherever you are today, let Him be so for you. He will come. He has come. He is there.

Blessings,
Pastor O

No comments:

Post a Comment