Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Precious

 But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, Jacob, he who formed you, Israel: “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. Isaiah 43:1.....You are the God who sees me Genesis 16:13

There is a message that has its origins in the heart of hell. It's author is the devil. This message has been proclaimed throughout the history of the human race, and sadly, countless souls have believed it down through the ages. Simply stated, this message says to us, "You don't matter!" God has proven the lie of this message in almost infinite ways and has most clearly done so in Jesus Christ.
John 3:16 is so much more than a sign we see at baseball and football games. It is more than the verse that so many in the church have committed to memory but have yet to really comprehend. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." Such was and is the love of God for the lost human race that He created and loves so desperately, that He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to rescue it. Christ, fully God, became fully man, and took upon Himself on the cross the penalty for our sin. We could not redeem ourselves, only the sinless perfection of Christ could do that. So, He came to us, lived among us, gave Himself up for us, was killed by us, and rose again from death for us. In doing so, He offers forgiveness, spiritual healing, and newness of life to all who will believe upon and receive Him as Lord and Savior. Theologians calls this the atonement. He paid the price, atoned for our sin. As the beautiful old hymn says, "Such love! Such wondrous love!" Our finite minds cannot begin to comprehend the wonder of it all.
So, I return to that message from the pit; "You don't matter!" I cannot begin to relate all the wrecked lives I have encountered who have been convinced of that lie. The result for them has been hopelessness, despair, and deep sorrow. We were created to know and experience His love flowing out of a deep relationship with Him. Sin has separated us from that love but in Christ, the offer of restoration of that relationship is offered. We matter to Him. You matter to Him. Everything in your life may seem to contradict that truth, but it is true. It is the experience of my life that it's true. Scripture says that He came to "seek and save that which has been lost." I, and millions of others throughout the history of the human race know the truth of that Scripture. It is the testimony of my life.
In August of 1979, in the dining room of the home I grew up in, I met and yielded to the Savior who had come for me. I was one living in darkness, held in the grip of death, who at age 29, saw no future, and no hope. Beaten down by the world, I was lifted up from the pit by the One whose love had sought me out. Amidst a world that told me I didn't matter, He proved to me that I did. It was not the last time that it was to be so. Exactly 10 years later, in August of 1989, my world collapsed. I lost my marriage, my family, and my ministry. I felt like I had lost everything, and in the midst, I could hear the mocking voice of the enemy telling me, "You don't matter." Certainly not to the world, but seemingly, not even to the church. Yet He had not forgotten me. I mattered to Him. I was precious to Him. And He wasn't going to leave me in that place. He didn't leave me in that place. He was and is the God who sees me. Who sees us. Who sees you. Who seeks and saves what has been lost. The Redeemer. Our Redeemer who lives.
If the voice of the deceiver has convinced you that you don't matter, that you've been forgotten, choose to reject that lie. He sees you, knows where you are, and has come for you where you are. Words fail to describe how precious to Him that you are. He came, He has come, and He comes to you now. Nothing can stop Him except your refusal to receive Him. Don't refuse. Embrace the One who seeks to embrace you. Embrace Him now.
Blessings,
Pastor O

No comments:

Post a Comment