Friday, December 24, 2021

The Gift

 For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

I was visiting a friend last week, and he was showing me around his home and the projects he'd been working on. Eventually we went out into his backyard, which overlooked a sloping hill leading to a freshwater creek. At the top he'd built a wooden swing. He told me that there were times when he would just sit in that swing and contemplate the goodness of God. He would think on all that the Lord had given him, all that He had done in his family, and all that He continued to do in all of his life. He said that what was most impressed upon him was that he wasn't worthy of any of it. He knew the life he'd once lived before he knew Christ. He knew too of the years he and his family had wandered in a spiritual wilderness, distant from their Lord. He knew he wasn't worthy of the goodness and love God had shown him. And in that, he was humbled. And grateful. He was overwhelmed by the goodness and greatness of his God.
I knew exactly what he spoke of, for I too have contemplated, many times, how good the Lord has been to me, and how totally unworthy of that goodness I have been. I too remember the life I led before I came to Him. I also remember the many times I failed Him on my journey with Him. Times when I had lagged behind Him. Times I had resisted His leading, or stubbornly sought to have my own way. Yes, He disciplined me as He shaped me with His hands of love, but always, He worked for my good. He always sought to give me His best, even when I was too blind to see that. I too am humbled, and thankful. I know that I have never deserved all that He has given me. I can never repay Him, and the beauty of it is, He has never expected me to.
Isaiah 9:6 is such a beautiful Scripture. It is a Messianic prophecy that pointed to the coming of Christ, which would not take place for another 700 years. It foretold the giving by the Father, of His Son, to a people who were not worthy of Him. That Son, Jesus, was a gift precious beyond our ability to describe. He was a gift who, for all who'd believe upon His name, that would remove the curse of sin, and break its power. He would be a gift beyond price, yet the Father would ask no payment except that we would receive Him. We are not worthy of this gift. We could never be worthy, which is why the Father gave Him. Because of our sin, we could never work our way to Him. We needed a door, and that door is Jesus Christ. He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. The only way to the Father. Sadly, most of the world doesn't even notice or know Him. Too many of those who do, have no realization of how precious He is. We take Him, and the gift of His life for granted. Much of that is because we don't really think we're unworthy at all. We live with an attitude of entitlement. Do you live with such an attitude today?
This Christmas, we'll be focused on so many things; both good and sad. To what degree will we contemplate the giving of this greatest gift, this gift of Jesus Christ? I don't think any of us will, until we get a true sense of how unworthy of Him we are. We're proud creatures. Humility doesn't come naturally to us. Pride does, and pride will never see Him. Whatever your state, if you have Him, you have everything, even if you right now feel you have nothing. If you don't have Him, you have nothing, even if you feel you have everything. Contemplate that, and then contemplate Him. May the wonder of who He is, and what He has given overwhelm you. May this day that is supposed to be about Him, be one that really is. Gaze upon Him, and realize that though you are unworthy, the Father, in Christ, has made you worthy in Him.
Blessings,
Pastor O
Like
Comment
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment