Monday, July 13, 2020

Learning Fear

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10...."According to a psychiatric reference book, there are over 2000 classified fears. Yet Scientists claim we're only born with two innate fears; fear of falling and fear of loud noises. All other fears are learned.......True courage is putting yourself in defenseless positions. This is the lifestyle that was modeled by Christ." Mark Batterson
How many of us live out the second part of Batterson's above quote? Who among us is willing to step out into a position that has no visible means of defense...as did Jesus? Who exposes themselves to real danger when the alternative is stay in a place of safety, secure and untouched? Only a fool would put themselves in such a position. There are not many who are willing to be "fools for Christ."
This is so because we've allowed the world to burn into our minds and hearts all there is to fear in it. Jesus said that many are called, but few are chosen. All who take His name are called to step out in faith for and with Him, but few are chosen to because all that there is to fear in the stepping out is more real to us than why we need not fear; He is with us. We've learned much more of the reasons for fear than we have of the one reason not to; knowing Him. Learning of Him. Experiencing that what appears to be the indefensible place, is in fact the place where we are surrounded by the walls of His salvation. So we never answer His call. We never step out. We never know what it is to be chosen to walk with and in Him. We've learned to fear, but have never learned to trust.
I remember when I took my first real step of faith only a year into my walk with Him. I felt like He was leading me into something far more than what made for my life then. I sought the counsel of my pastor, and he suggested that I might be experiencing His leading into some type of ministry. This led to my hearing of our Bible College, located 1500 miles away. My heart and spirit seemed to receive confirmation that this was where I was to go. I was so young in Him that I hadn't learned all the reasons not to go. All the things that were before me as obstacles. Obstacles that to the naked eye were very deserving of fear. I was not seeing them, but friends and family surely did. In their well meaning they sought to deter me, sure that going where I knew no one, had no idea how I would support myself, let alone pay the tuition required, would result in disaster. Yet go I did, believing all would be provided for. I entered into an indefensible position sure of my position in Him. And all that there was to fear never got the chance to prevent His leading me to where He wanted me to be.
I wish I could say that has been the case from there on. It hasn't. That simple childlike faith didn't always come forth as I learned all that there was to fear if I simply followed Him. Mountains, giants, hardships, challenges, all seemed more real than Him at times. Too many times I wanted more assurance than the promise of His presence. Courage, His courage didn't always win the day, as the fears that I'd learned kept me from the fullness of what He desired. So I missed Him in those places. Eternity will reveal just how much I missed there. As it will for each of us.
I think one of the reasons we learn to live in fear is how attached we become to "things," to "stuff," even to people. We can become so afraid of losing them that we fear totally abandoning ourselves to Him...in trust. When I left for that Bible College, I carried all I owned in my car. The risks of abandoning all to Him were still great, but not nearly so much as it became several decades later. My attachments have grown in number and strength. It becomes a much greater leap of faith to put all of it in the indefensible place according to my sight and sense. Learned fears always work against having courage in Christ.
In the end, it comes down to the question of what will we fear most? The loss of things, even all things? Or, the loss of the fullness of He who is everything? The first will result in our seeking a self styled security. The second will lead to a life fully kept and secure in Him. Someone said that if we will fear Him, we need fear nothing else. Let us lay down all of our learned fears and embrace the One who in fearing Him, makes us fearless. I'm ready for that. Are you?
Blessings
Pastor O

No comments:

Post a Comment