Friday, April 9, 2021

Shipwrecks And Snakebites

 "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." 2 Timothy 4:7...."We are in deep need of three-way faithfulness, to the faith, to the fight, to the finish." Vance Havner

We are in both a fight and a race, and the only way to prevail in both is with a solid rock faith. Do we have these? Do you, and do I?
The Apostle Paul penned these words at the end of his life and ministry. All the apostles knew the truth of what he wrote, but perhaps none more than he did. Surely no one fought more spiritual and temporal battles than he did. Surely none ran a more challenging race of faith. And he did so to the very end, to the finish line of his life. No matter what our challenges may be, I doubt very much any of us will ever face all that he did in his journey with Christ.
Commenting on some of Paul's trials and how they relate to us, Mark Batterson said that sometimes, our lives seem to be nothing more than a series of "shipwrecks and snakebites." He was referring to the Paul's experiences on the island of Malta, where he had survived a shipwreck only to be bitten by a poisonous snake when he arrived on the shore of the island. Our lives can seem so at times. We seem to go from one major crisis of life and faith to an even greater one right after. This is when the "fight" grows ever more difficult, and we grow ever more weary. We're tempted to give up the fight, step off the track, and cease running to the finish line. Maybe you're there now. I certainly have been. I've been in the dark tunnel that seemed to have no end. I've felt like giving up, felt I had to give up, but every time, a fresh blowing of His Holy Spirit came at my back, and carried me on a few more strides, and I continued the race. He gave me the strength to keep fighting, to keep running, to get to the finish line. Could it be that you need a fresh blowing of the wind of His Spirit at your back today? He is faithful to give that as you remain faithful to receive it.
We are in a time now where living out Paul's words is a virtual necessity. The believer has never been allowed to be passive, but somehow, that's what many of us have been. We are to come against the power of darkness and death by living, speaking, acting in the power of His life and light, of His resurrection life and light. The enemy will throw obstacles in front of us all along the way. We can't be deterred. We must press on, accepting the challenges, and in our accepting them, triumphing over them in His power and strength. The enemy may attack, but he cannot keep us from reaching the finish line the Father has set before us. Shipwrecks and snakebites could not stop Paul, and they will not stop us.....unless we let them. Paul would not let them. Will we? Will you?
Some years ago, I wrote down in my prayer journal, inspired by Hebrews 12:3, "When I become weary and discouraged, Lord help me to think on what Christ endured on the cross, so that I don't give up." No one, not even Paul, endured so much, suffered so much in His faithfulness to His Father as did our Lord Jesus Christ. He conquered, and in Him, we do as well. Press on. Run well. Fight the good fight. Finish the race. In Him, that is our destiny. Let that destiny be fulfilled.
Blessings,
Pastor O

No comments:

Post a Comment