Monday, March 1, 2021

Valleys

 "Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no danger; for You are with me; Your rod and your staff - they comfort me." Psalm 23:4....."There are times your Shepherd knows that the only way to get you where He wants to take you is to lead you down a path that passes through the dark valley.....You never need to fear evil. As intimidating as evil can be, there is nothing you will ever face that intimidates Your Shepherd." Henry Blackaby

The 23rd Psalm is familiar and loved by so many, but I think we never come to know its power and truth until we are literally in the dark valley, what one translation calls, "the valley of the shadow of death." I know this was true for me. It was not until He led me into that valley of death that I discovered how true and faithful He was, is, and remains. I would never want to retrace that journey, but I would not exchange what I learned of and in Him there. I think all those who trusted them in their own valley of darkness and death would say the same.
My journey began in the last 18 months of my marriage. Everything concerning it was collapsing, despite all attempts through counseling and prayer to save it. The toll upon me was terrible, and I would not be exaggerating to say that the conditions were a living hell. Added to that were circumstances I was experiencing with several people in the church I was pastoring. Their atttudes and open opposition only added to the darkness. When the day came when my spouse announced she was leaving, something she'd been planning unbeknownst to me, I was left broken in spirit. I had to step out of ministry, and into a life filled with nothing but the unknown, and endless questions as to what I would do, go, and be. There were friends who supported me, but they were not many, and I say that with no bitterness. I merely state the truth. There I was, right in the middle of the valley of the shadow of death, and I had no idea if I would ever get out.
I was faced with a choice; would I lay down and die there, or would I, despite every appearance being against doing so, go on, step by step, trusting and believing Him. Trusting and believing that He still held my future and was completely with me in my present, despite the contradictions of my circumstances. All this may makes me sound more courageous than I was. I was gripped by fear. Fear I would never get past this. Fear that my calling as a preacher/pastor was over. And the greatest fear, that He would fail me. In all the fear, all I could do was go on, a step at a time, and hold to the hope of His promises, and believe that somehow, He would bring me out into the fullness of His Light and Life, though I could not see how He would.
My walk in the valley was not a short one, but without fully realizing it, He was at work within and around me. Doors did open, and each opening revealed to me just a bit more of His Light. I had been left financially devastated, but never once did He fail to provide for my needs. I was crushed emotionally and spiritually, but He was doing an ongoing work of healing. A work that would continue even after He'd led me out of the valley. Most of all, He revealed deep aspects of His character, of who He was, that I could never have learned apart from the darkness I'd been in. In the dark, I saw Him as I'd never seen Him before. He'd revealed Himself to me in ways He never could have without the valley of the shadow of death. I had the sweetness of His fellowship in the midst of the pain of the valley. I would never want to go back there, but even more, I would never give up what I learned there for anything. What I learned of me, and most of all, what I learned of Him.
He did bring me out of the valley. He did restore my soul and my life. In the unknown, He made Himself known. And it was not to be the last valley He would lead me into. Yet in every one, I discovered anew that He was true to His Word, that He would be who He promised He would be, and that He would lead me through, comforting and strengthening me all along the way.
Perhaps you too are in the valley today. Don't give up, and don't leave off. He is there with you. He will not leave you. He will be the known in your unknown. Trust Him. He will see you through. He will bring you into His Light and Life. And as you journey, don't miss what He has for you there. His object is not first to get you through, but to get you to Him. Let His purposes be fulfilled in your life. There are riches there you will never know otherwise. He has treasures for you in the darkness. Treasures you'd never discover in the light. Discover them as you hold to Him in the valley.
Blessings,
Pastor O

No comments:

Post a Comment